Former England captain gave a proper reality check to the cricket authorities in England
Former England captain Nasser Hussain has said that it’s ironic that teams, Pakistan and West Indies, who suffered as a result of the ‘Big Three’ move, few years back, are now coming forward to help the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
In 2014 England, Australia and India were granted more executive powers and a greater share of revenue from ICC tournaments in a controversial move dubbed the ‘Big Three’ takeover.
The move did not last long as the BCCI was dealt a major blow at the International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting in Dubai, during April 2017, when it was heavily out-voted on the governance structure and revenue model.
“I find it ironic that the two sides who've probably been hard done by the most by the Big Three, two great cricketing nations Pakistan and West Indies who have been hardest hit, now we're asking them to come over to England,” said Hussain while speaking on the Sky Sports Cricket Podcast.
The Covid-19 pandemic has delayed the start of the English cricket season until July 1 at the earliest.
But the England and Wales Cricket Board are still planning to stage a full home international programme starting with a three-Test series against the West Indies, originally, scheduled for June, now set to get underway in July.
Three more Tests against Pakistan follow, as well as limited-overs matches with Australia and Ireland.
Trying to salvage lucrative men's internationals is the priority for the ECB, with chief executive Tom Harrison warning a complete wipeout of the 2020 season could cost the governing body £380 million ($469 million).
Last year's finalists, Lahore Qalandars and Karachi Kings, face off in the round robin stage of HBL PSL 6 at the National Stadium in Karachi on28/Feb/2021