اردو

Chris Lynn withdraws from HBL PSL 5 amid coronavirus pandemic

The hard-hitting batsman will not be available for the knock-out stage of the tournament

PHOTO: Shafiq Malik

Lahore Qalandars batsman Chris Lynn has decided to withdraw from the ongoing season of HBL Pakistan Super League due to the coronavirus pandemic and will not be available for the knock-out stage of the tournament.

While speaking to media on Sunday after scoring his career-best 113 not out against Multan Sultans, the hard-hitting batsman had expressed his desire to stay in Pakistan till the end of Qalandars’ campaign.

“I generally just like winning and if I go home I have to sit in isolation for two weeks so I would rather be playing here and hitting sixes. I would have missed out on it if I had gone home,” said Lynn. “The situation is different in England as compared to Australia but I’m really proud of the Qalandars’ overseas playing group because they stuck together.’’

ALSO READRashid Latif criticises PCB over scheduling of last round PSL matches

However, the 29-year-old has had a change of heart as he announced his departure in an Instagram post on Monday morning.

“Thoroughly enjoyed my time at the @thepsl unfortunately in these circumstances I’ve chosen to head home, I’ve always said there is more to life than cricket and this is certainly one of these cases,” Lynn posted on Instagram. “I have full faith in the @lahoreqalandars to go all the way but more importantly have fun lads! Thank you to everyone involved, Pakistan you have been a blast.’’

Earlier on Friday, many foreign players had decided to leave Pakistan over coronavirus fears but Lahore Qalandars were the only franchise which had all their overseas players available for the tournament.

However, along with Chris Lynn, all-rounders David Wiese and Seekkuge Prasanna will not be available for Qalandars as they have also withdrawn from the tournament and will soon be heading to their respective countries.