The Black Caps called off their tour on Friday over security concerns that mystified the hosts, just before the first ODI in Rawalpindi
Former captain Inzamamul Haq was bitterly disappointed after New Zealand abandoned their first tour of Pakistan in 18 years.
The Black Caps called off their tour on Friday over security concerns that mystified the hosts, just before the first ODI in Rawalpindi.
“No country can do to another what New Zealand have done to Pakistan. They were our guests and if they had some issues they should have spoken to the PCB. Pakistan had been providing New Zealand with the best security. Since the attack on Sri Lankan cricketers in 2009, we have given security to teams’ equivalent to that given to a visiting President,” Inzamam said while speaking on his official YouTube channel.
He also urged the International Cricket Council (ICC) to intervene into this matter.
“ICC must step into this. Also, If New Zealand have some inputs related to security, why are they not showing it? If not to PCB, then at least show it to the ICC. Even our PM had spoken to them and given them assurances,” he said.
“If New Zealand had spoken to Pakistan about their concerns, the security agencies could definitely have looked into to. But just before the match they said, they cannot play because of some threat. At least let us know what your problem is? I cannot digest this,” he added.
New Zealand on Friday cited government advice on increased threat levels for Pakistan and warnings from security advisors on the ground as their reason for pulling out of their tour in Pakistan.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White said in a statement that it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving.
New Zealand were visiting Pakistan for the first time in 18 years and were due to play three one-day internationals and five Twenty20 matches in Rawalpindi and Lahore.